MCMC plans to launch 5G by the end of 2022, and no SIRIM certification for non-4G VoLTE devices in 2021


Recently at the government's meeting in the Malaysia Houses of Parliament, Minister of Communications and Multimedia, Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah said that they will be ready to launch 5G connectivity by the end of 2022 or early 2023. He stated that there would be no plans to launch until they have a clear and detailed plan for the objective.

During the briefing, Datuk Saifuddin said that the government would have to consider a number of preparations before launching 5G which includes -measuring interconnection preparations, charging fees, the people's readiness, avoiding network gaps and others. Moreover, he expects that 70% of 5G services would be reserved for industrial use while the remaining 30% is for the citizens of Malaysia. He also commented that 5G would be useless if it's only available in some areas but not others, as well as having a blueprint plan is better than following the promotions of suppliers using 5G technology.

On the other hand, SIRIM has announced that starting from 1 January 2021 onwards, 3G-only and 4G without Voice over LTE (VoLTE) devices would not be approved or renewed. This includes the Certificate of Conformity (CoC), new issuance and renewal of Compliance Approval and Special Approval, IMEI number registration and product serial number, as well as having a Certificate of Approval (CoA). You can read the full report right here.

Looks like the Malaysian government is gearing up for a digital future for us, but there are still lies some issues of not every phone is capable of handling VoLTE. Also, it's a bit of a slap to the face for smartphone brands who are promoting 5G crazily (lol). Stay tuned for more trending tech news at