Samsung Gear VR virtual reality headset announced, uses Galaxy Note 4 as display
While there isn't any companion smartwatch for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 this time around, there is a companion virtual reality headset in the form of the Samsung Gear VR. Officially announced alongside the phablet, the Gear VR is a virtual reality headset that uses the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 as the main display. Created in collaboration with the developers of the Occulus Rift virtual reality goggles, the headset offers a complete 360 degree view for a number of applications. Check out the tech specs and features for the Samsung Gear VR below:
- 96" Field of View optical lens
- supports accelerator, gyrometer, magnetic and proximity sensors
- <20ms motion to photon latency
- covers both nearsighted and farsighted eyesight
- features touch pad, back button, volume key, microUSB 1.1, 16GB microSD with pre-loaded 360 degree and 3D content
- 198 x 116 x 90mm
So far, there are no details yet about any Malaysia release dates or pricing but Samsung have said that the Gear VR should be available sometime this year. While there aren't that many uses for it yet, Samsung have made some content available with it as below:
- Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron partnership with Samsung, Gear VR users will gain exclusive access to Tony Stark's Lab inside the all new Avengers Tower.
- IMAX: Samples of Hollywood and documentary films in a virtual theatre with Samsung Gear VR – the next best thing to a live IMAX experience.
- DreamWorks VR: Allows Samsung Gear VR users to interact and laugh with DreamWorks characters and content in a whole new way like never before.
- Legendary's Pacific Rim Jaeger Pilot: features an immersive content experience that puts viewers at center of the action with Samsung Gear VR.
- Cirque du Soleil Media: 360 live-action 3D VR experience, featuring an act from Zarkana filmed by Felix & Paul Studios for Samsung Gear VR.
- M-GO Advanced: a new paradigm for digital video virtual reality applications, offers an unmatched interactive search and discovery of the latest premium movie and TV show content with Samsung Gear VR.
- Vevo: more than 100,000 HD music videos, live concert events and original programming that can be enjoyed in an immersive, full-screen theater experience on Samsung Gear VR.
- Protocol Zero (working title) from DENA: enables Samsung Gear VR players to infiltrate enemy grounds undetected in blackout conditions with hi-tech optics including night vision, X-ray vision, and thermal vision.