Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 announced in Malaysia with 4000mAh battery, dual rear camera, AI Beauty Mode 4.0 and more starting price from RM799
Today, Xiaomi Malaysia has officially brought in the long awaited Redmi Note 5. There are different types of Redmi Note 5 models globally which are confusing. To make it clearer, the Redmi Note 5 in India = our Redmi 5 Plus and our Redmi Note 5 has same specs with the Redmi Note 5 in China. The Redmi Note 5 Pro in India has the same specs with our Redmi Note 5 except the 20MP front camera compare to 13MP on ours. Ok? Ok, let's move on.
The phone price are split into two variants which are RM799 for the 3GB + 32GB model and RM999 for the 4GB + 64GB model. The pre-order will start at midnight tonight (25 April 2018) in Lazada Malaysia website and they won't really tell us if there's any secret freebie, so you will have to stay up for that if you want it. If you can wait for it, the official offline sale at their authorised Mi Stores will start on 5 May 2018.
Anyway, enough of that, here are the Redmi Note 5 official specifications:
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 processor
- 3GB and 4GB of RAM
- 32GB and 64GB internal storage (expandable memory up to 128GB microSD)
- Measures 158.6 x 75.4 x 8.05 mm, weighs 181g
- 5.99-inch display (18:9 aspect ratio, FHD+, 2160 x 1080 pixel resolution)
- 12MP (f/1.9) + 5MP dual rear cameras (LED flash) + 13MP front camera (LED Flash)
- Features rear fingerprint sensor, face unlock, microUSB, infrared blaster (universal remote control), 4G LTE dual SIM (nanoSIM + nanoSIM/microSD)
- Supports Bluetooth 5.0, AGPS, Wi-Fi Display, Wi-Fi Direct, 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, 2.4G Wi-Fi + 5G Wi-Fi
- MIUI 9 based on Android 8.0 Nougat
- 4000 mAh battery
Here's the front and back view, not much changes from the predecessor except for the dual rear camera and extra sensors on the front
The secondary 5MP camera is positioned on top while the primary 13MP is at the bottom. Btw, all the cameras are using Samsung sensors as opposed to Sony IMX ones
Side view with the SIM card tray (hybrid dual SIM only)
Same old bottom trio - headphone jack, microUSB port and speaker grill
Don't be fooled that it looks like carrying dual front cameras, one of them is an LED flash while the other is for face unlock
Blue model is so nice
Black model is okay-ish, but the front is solid
Sporting mid-range tier specs, the highlight of the new Redmi is the integration of AI for the cameras. For the dual rear camera, it has dual pixel technology, Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS), HDR and Burst Mode. On the other hand, the secondary camera is just 5MP so it's mainly for creating the bokeh effect with the AI assistance, allowing the user to capture portrait modes. For the 13MP front camera, it also uses AI portrait mode but you will have to use the Bokeh Mode for that.
AI Beauty Mode 4.0
The battery is a monster as always
Stay tuned for more Xiaomi news at TechNave.com.