News & Reviews: U Mobile
May 25, 2022
Update: U Mobile's PR agency has reached out to us and confirmed that the company has not signed on to anything.
Just last night, U Mobile seemingly just went live with its 5G promotion page. Yes, it's past tense because the page is no longer available this morning but this caught our attention enough.
Malaysian Finance Minister rejected telcos' proposal on DNB equity, intends to stand by 30 June deadlineMay 23, 2022
It's been almost two months since the Malaysian government had offered the telcos (Celcom, Digi, Maxis and U Mobile) an equity stake in Digital Nasional Berhad (DNB). However, it has become clear that the discussions among themselves have not been going well.
May 05, 2022
The Ministry of Communications and Multimedia (K-KOMM) has revealed that negotiations are still ongoing between telco companies and Digital Nasional Bhd (DNB) on the 5G network service agreement in Malaysia. This is according to its minister, Tan Sri Annuar Musa.
Apr 27, 2022
Opensignal is back again and this time, it will be another Mobile Network Experience Report for Malaysia. As of April 2022, the data collection period began on 1 December 2021 until 28 February 2022. Without further ado, let's see what the report has to say.
Apr 21, 2022
The Communications and Multimedia Ministry (K-KOMM) has lauded Digital Nasional Berhad (DNB)’s single wholesale network model for enabling a cheaper 5G service rate in Malaysia. Its minister, Tan Sri Annuar Musa yesterday also assured the people that the model won't create a monopoly.
Apr 08, 2022
Previously, we reported that Celcom, Digi, Maxis and U Mobile have accepted the offer to take an equity stake in Digital Nasional Berhad (DNB). If you were wondering if there's any update, the latest news that we got is that these MNOs have yet to agree on key terms in the Reference Access Offer (RAO) that was recently published by DNB.
Mar 23, 2022
While we are still waiting for Celcom, Digi and Maxis to announce their 5G adoption plans, U Mobile just announced a new Postpaid 38 plan that is 5G-ready. At RM38 per month, this postpaid has a total of 30GB of high-speed data and unlimited calls as well.
Mar 17, 2022
As of 16 March 2022, the Malaysian government announced that Digital Nasional Berhad's (DNB) Single Wholesale Network (SWN) will remain as planned. However, the government also only retain a 30% equity stake in DNB and offered the rest of the 70% to Celcom, Digi, Maxis and U Mobile.
Mar 16, 2022
After waiting for more than two weeks, the Malaysian government has finally settled on what they were going to do with the Single Wholesale Network (SWN). From today's tweet as well as the press conference, the government has decided to maintain the implementation of the 5G network as an SWN.
Mar 15, 2022
When the government first started talking about 5G a few years ago, it was clear that we consumers wouldn't be able to benefit anytime soon. But with the COVID-19 pandemic, industries and Malaysians quickly began using the Internet for things like video meetings, ecommerce, online events and more.
This explosive growth meant that there was a real need to expedite the growth of 5G in Malaysia. Today, we want to briefly walk you through how much 5G has progressed here in Malaysia exactly in the last few years. Where are we so far?