ASUS ZenFone 4 and ZenFone 4 Pro revealed with refined SuperPixel 4.0 + 120 degree wide-angle dual rear cameras from about RM1712
Today, ASUS is proud to present five brand new ASUS ZenFone 4 series in Taipei, Taiwan. The five devices are the ASUS ZenFone 4 (ZE554KL), ZenFone 4 Pro (ZS551KL), ZenFone 4 Max Pro (ZC554KL), ZenFone 4 Selfie (ZD553KL), and the ZenFone 4 Selfie Pro (ZD552KL). Let's first go through the ZenFone 4 and 4 Pro as both smartphones will be the last two to come into Malaysia. No Malaysia pricing details like the others but the ZenFone 4 will be priced at $399 (~RM1712) while the ZenFone 4 Pro will go for $599 (~RM2570). Below is the full official specifications and details on the dual camera module.
ASUS ZenFone 4 (ZE554KL) ~ $399 (RM1712)
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 630 / 660 processor (14nm), Adreno 512 GPU, octa-core CPU clocking at 2.2GHz
- 6GB RAM
- 64GB storage (expandable memory available up to 256GB via microSD card)
- 5.5-inch FHD IPS + LCD display in 1080p
- 12MP (f/1.8, Dual Pixel autofocus, 4-axis OIS) + 8MP (f/2.2, 120 degrees wide-angle lens) dual rear camera | 8MP front camera (f/2.0)
- Features fingerprint scanne, 4K video recording, Super Slow Motion mode in 120fps FHD, 32-second slow shutter mode, RAW file format, Super Resolution mode, Dual nano SIM standby, Hi Res Audio, USB Type-C (OTG)
- Supports 4G, WiFi 802.11ad, Bluetooth 5.0, VoLTE (varies by region),
- ZEN UI 4.0 based on Android 7.0 Nougat
- 3300mAh battery
No Malaysia price yet but for now $399 comes up to about RM1712
ASUS ZenFone 4 Pro (ZS551KL) ~ $599 (RM2570)
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor (10nm), Adreno 540 GPU, octa-core CPU clocking at 2.45GHz
- 6GB RAM
- 128GB storage (expandable memory available up to 256GB via microSD card)
- 5.5-inch FHD AMOLED display in 1080p
- 12MP SuperPixel camera (f/1.7, Dual Pixel phase detection autofocus, Optical Image Stabilizer) + 16MP secondary camera (f/2.6, 2X optical zoom) rear camera | 8MP SuperPixel front camera (f/1.9, PDAF)
- Features fingerprint scanner, ASUS TriTech+, Portrait Mode, 4K video recording, Super Slow Motion mode in 120fps FHD, 32-second slow shutter mode, RAW file format, Super Resolution mode, Dual nano SIM standby, Hi Res Audio, USB Type-C 2.0 (OTG)
- Supports 4G, WiFi 802.11ad, Bluetooth 5.0, VoLTE (varies by region)
- ZEN UI 4.0 based on Android 7.1 Nougat (upgradable to Android 8.0)
- 3600mAh battery
At about RM2570, the ZenFone 4 Pro is quite competitively priced
Explaining the ASUS ZenFone 4 and ZenFone 4 Pro cameras
With the tagline #WeLovePhoto in line, ASUS has refocused the new ASUS ZenFone 4 series as the latest challenger in phoneography or the art of taking photos with a smartphone camera. The new camera system features an aperture below f/2.0, 4-axis OIS (Optical Image Stabilization), a 1.4µm pixel size sensor, an ASUS SuperPixel Engine, and Qualcomm Spectra image signal processors to produce the best possible image. ASUS' TriTech+ Auto focus system is also back, which was also seen in the ZenFone AR featuring Dual Pixel PDAF or Phase detection autofocus, a Gen-2 Laser AF or autofocus and Subject Tracking AF.
For the second rear camera sensor on the ZenFone 4, ASUS decided to make it focus more on the wide-angle aspect instead of utilizing it as a monochrome sensor, telephoto zoom, or a bokeh effect maker. It can go as wide as 120-degrees allowing users to take bigger pictures from short distances away.
Optical Zoom 2x sample
On the other hand, the ASUS ZenFone 4 Pro looks to offer that telephoto zoom more by delivering up to 2x optical zoom and up to 10x digital zoom much like the ZenFone 3 Zoom. It utilizes 3 high-end Sony camera sensors including the IMX362 (main rear sensor), IMX351 (zoom rear camera sensor) and IMX 319 (front camera). The new ZenFone 4 and ZenFone 4 Pro will also be getting a more streamlined ASUS ZenUI 4.0 upgradable to Android O, but the bigger surprise is that the ASUS ZenFone 3 series will also be getting the ASUS ZenUI 4.0 and Android O as well.
The back of ZenFone 4. The ZenFone 4 Pro's version will have
the "2X Zoom" written at its dual rear camera surface
A closer look, with the Softlight LED beside the dual camera setup
Your standard power and volume buttons, the SIM card tray is on the other side
The headphone jack, USB Type-C and speaker grill at the bottom as usual
Apart from the rear camera bump both the ASUS ZenFone 4 and ZenFone 4 Pro look nearly identical
No exact Malaysia release dates or pricing details for these 2 but ASUS has confirmed with us that the ZenFone 4 will come into Malaysia in September 2017, but there is still no news about when we might see the ASUS ZenFone 4 Pro or for how much. We expect the ZenFone 4 Pro to be placed on hold until there is enough demand for the other ZenFone 4 smartphones. Stay tuned for more ASUS news at TechNave.com.