New York lawsuit claims Samsung Galaxy Note 9 caught fire in a purse, here's Samsung's response


A lawsuit by a Diane Chung was supposedly filed regarding a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 that may have caught fire in the woman’s purse while riding an elevator. According to the New York Post, the lawsuit claims that the phone “became extremely hot” after which she stopped using it and put it in her bag when “she heard a whistling and screeching sound, and she noticed thick smoke”. The woman reportedly kicked it out at the lobby where a good Samaritan supposedly grabbed it with a cloth and put it into a bucket of water.

The Queens Supreme Court lawsuit claims for unspecified damages and a restraining order barring sales of any Galaxy Note 9. We’ve reached out to Samsung representatives personally, and their response is as below:

“Samsung takes customer safety very seriously and we stand behind the quality of the millions of Galaxy devices in use. We have not received any reports of similar incidents involving a Galaxy Note9 device and we are investigating the matter."

There’s still no news on this Samsung investigation but we all know that “lemons” or individual faulty products do happen regardless of the smartphone brand, so best wait and see what Samsung say after their investigation. Our own testing and review for the past 3 weeks haven't revealed any heat issues though, but stay tuned to for this as we’ll keep you updated if any similar incidents happen again.

Samsung Galaxy Note 9 Specs & Price >